Monday, September 04, 2006

Pet peeves and my holiday

Ok, so I'm listening to the Jerry Lewis MDA fundraiser marathon, and every time it bumps over to the local station, they keep giving the phone number, saying "oh", as in O, the letter, not 0, the number. When did "Oh" become a number??? ZERO is a number, O is a letter, and it doesn't take any more time to say zero than it does to say "oh". What really gripes me is that some of the folks I hear saying "oh" are highly educated!! So that's part of my vent.

The other part is hearing all these media personalities who, when speaking of the President of the United States, say "Mr. Bush". People, please!! The man was elected to the office, give him the respect of calling him "Mr. President" or "President Bush". You can bet your boopkus that if he was a democrat, they'd be showing him some respect! He's not just a plain "Mr." - he's our president! When hearing those same personalities speaking of Clinton & Carter, they invariably say "Former President Clinton" or "Former President Clinton". What special something did they do to get that added respect? They're democrats, people!! Whatever happened to unbiased news, anyway? It's almost enough to make me just get all my news online. Thank goodness for MSNBC.com!!

Now then, I'm finished ranting.

I'm working on my Christmas cards today!! Actually, I'm working on cards for some swaps I'm in. I never do Christmas trees, but the cards I'm doing today are featuring trees... I just thought the rubber stamp was way too cute not to use. It's not like I'm going to send them to my family, just doing them for a swap.

My friend Mona gave me a great idea the other day, though. She makes extra cards each time she does more than one card and puts the extras to the side for Christmas gifts! So by doing that all year, by the time Christmas rolls around, the recipient gets a nice variety of all sorts of cards to use throughout the year! How cool is that?? So I'm making extra cards. I won't have a huge stash for this year, but if I continue to do it throughout next year, I'm hoping to have some REALLY nice handmade card collections to give to my loved ones. :)

My sweet honey has been working mega hours this weekend. He worked from 12am to 8pm on Saturday, then worked 11pm Saturday to 8pm Sunday. Today he's pulling another 12 hour shift, and then goes back in at midnight tonight and works until 4 or so tomorrow. I miss him when he's working so much, but hopefully we'll have time to go out for lunch one day this week. :) He's actually grilling out today. On most of the summer holidays, a bunch of the people in various VOA houses get together to have a meal, and he's always the designated grill chef! He can cook some awesome food! So he's going to bring me a plate later on.

I haven't been outside our house in over a week, other than to go to the mailbox. I'm having some issues that sorta keep me tied to the house, not to mention that my allergies have kicked up into high gear. Ugh. Slept with the windows open last night, and boy, did I pay for THAT!! But it's all good. Love that the weather is a bit cooler than it has been. Looking forward to fall when the air gets nippy at night. I've been known to sleep with the window open when it's almost freezing outside. I just pile more blankets on the bed and turn the heaters off!

Now back to creating cards.... I'll try to scan in the completed examples when I get a chance. :)

2 comments:

  1. I once listened to a radio show (it might've been Rick and Bubba, who knows?) and they called information on the telephone to see whether the automated "operator" would say "oh" or "zero".

    She said "oh".

    I'm with you.
    "O" is the NAME of a letter as well as the LONG vowel sound of that letter, while "Zero" is the NAME of a NUMBER.

    I personally think that it's all the fault of modern technology. It's the computers and typewriters fault!!! LOL People never could distinguish between the two. For instance...how many times have you had to call, say, tech support about something computer related, or any other appliance and had to relay a part number or model number that contained a 0 or an O? Sometimes it IS pretty hard to tell. I think they should put the slash through the zero. That way there is no mistaking it. KWIMJB?

    I agree also with your rant on the 'president' title. I have heard the press quite a few times refer to him as "Mr. President". This identifies him as a man as well as our president.

    We could always call him, "Mr. President, Dude Sir".

    I think it has a nice little ring to it. Don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeni, thank you SO much for validating my vent! I agree, a slash through the zero would make life SO much simpler for everyone. And I really like the "Mr. President, Dude Sir" title. LOL

    ReplyDelete