Wednesday, July 04, 2007

We have a winner!!

Since we've been getting fresh tomatoes from the CSA we belong to, I have been experimenting with tomato salads. The first time I used feta cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and it wasn't very good. :(

This morning, I tried again. And boys howdy is it good!!! Even Peter likes it. So it goes on my "do-over" list. It tasted SO fresh and luscious. I used string cheese, since it's just plain mozzarella and we've always got it on hand. I also used fresh basil that's growing right outside my front door. :) Now I just hope they keep those tomatoes coming....

Tomato-Mozzarella Salad

Mix together:
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
6 sticks mozzarella string cheese, sliced into 1/2" rounds
1 handful fresh basil, roughly chopped

In a small bowl, combine about 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar, about 5-6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground paper and sea salt. Whisk together until it emulsifies. I didn't actually measure the ingredients, I just sorta chucked it all in and went for it - measurements here are guesstimates.

Pour dressing over tomatoes & cheese, stir well to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1-2 hours to allow the flavors to "marry".

If you try this recipe, please let me know how you like it!!

Anita

1 comment:

  1. Hey kiddo,
    I noticed you commented on my blog and want you to know I appreciate it. I have been considering not blogging anymore since I don't think anybody reads 'em anyway. I have left the last couple up several weeks and nobody signs them or comments. I feel that I am wasting my time and others.
    Love ya'll,
    Pop

    ReplyDelete