Friday, August 04, 2006

Cause for Celebration

Before you laugh at my total lack of domesticity, let me first say that all my adult life, my idea of great mac & cheese was the kind with the creamy cheese packet that comes in a blue box.

The past few days, I've been looking through some cookbooks, as we have decided that it's much healthier for us, and more economical to limit our dining out to once or twice a week, versus every day. For over a year, we've been eating out way too much and there have been months that my stove was never even turned on!! Sad, I know, but with Peter working as much as 110-hour weeks, it was just quicker and easier.

Anyway, the past couple of weeks, I've been cooking more. Let me just say that I absolutely LOVE my crockpot! I have a 1 1/2 quart one and a 6 quart one, both with a removable insert. These things are WONDERFUL!!! Not to mention that the house doesn't heat up when you use the crock-pot.

So this morning, I was looking through a cookbook for some neat meal ideas and found an easy, simple recipe for macaroni & cheese. As Peter was going to the store for some groceries anyway, I asked him to pick up a couple of things that I needed to make the dish. He's a BIG fan of mac & cheese, so of course, he was more than willing.

So today, I made my first ever homemade macaroni & cheese!!! It took just a little bit of time, and it turned out WONDERFUL!!! Now why on Earth have I never made it before??? I think absolutely nothing of making all these semi-gourmet meals that involve loads of time, but something so simple, I've been making from a box!! So today I vow that I will strive to NEVER buy boxed side dishes until I've tried making them from scratch at home.

Here's what my finished dish looks like:


1 comment:

  1. oh YUM - what time is dinner did you say? heeheee
    I remember the first time I made chili - I was shocked at how EASY it was. WE had been married for 12 or 13 years and had always had canned chili at home or we would wait till Bro Moore would make Chili for the YP - he still makes the bestest! Good job Nita!

    ReplyDelete