Thursday, October 12, 2006

Food find!

Kroger had butternut squash on sale last week, so my sweet honey got one. It sat here for a while because I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, and finally found a recipe online yesterday and set out to make it. Well, it didn't turn out. :( The squash part was fine, but the crumb topping turned into slush, possibly because of the high humidity in the air. So I added more flour and it turned into something resembling cookie dough. So I had to create my own variation, and I must say that it's a big hit in our house. Even the baby loves it! Here's my variation...

1 small (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded & sliced 1/4" thick
3 apples, peeled, cored & sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup flour (I used self rising and it worked fine)
4 Tbsp cold butter
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple, undrained

Layer squash and apple slices in a greased 9x13" pan. Mix all remaining ingredients together until well blended, then pour over the squash & apples. This looks like a mess, and I think adding a bit more flour would even be ok. Anyway, it looks ukky, but just spread it out the best you can to make it evenly cover the squash & apples. Then cover with foil and bake at 350* for 45 minutes, or until squash is tender.

The batter/pineapple mixture makes it almost like a cobbler, and it's SO good! Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment