Friday, February 02, 2007

Becoming liberated

For as far back as I can remember, I've been a hoarder. It is just in my nature to save things "just in case". So we've spent money and time moving things from place to place, even though they were things that we've forgotten we had until we found them buried in a box or bag. Lately, I've become inspired to make a change, which has greatly helped me.

I've decided that all the paper clutter that I've been hanging onto is choking my creativity and my personality. Walking through my home seeing the disarray is overwhelming, and ultimately takes away the joy I should feel when I'm in my haven. A huge factor in the disarray is the fact we've been working on the house for months now. Our kitchen still isn't finished, yet we've been working on the office instead. But I digress...

I have a huge box for donations set up in the living room, and I've been purging ruthlessly. If it's something I don't absolutely love and use, out it goes. With each full bag that goes into the trash, I feel a little happier deep inside. I'm still far from done, but slow and steady wins the race. If we can do just a little each day, eventually our house will truly become a home, a thing of joy and comfort to us. No longer will we walk in and feel overwhelmed and depressed at the sight of clutter. We will persevere and we will eliminate everything that's not loved or used. And THAT is liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment