Friday, April 20, 2007

New horizons

Last night, while visiting with Lori and Mom, we started talking about genealogy. Since we come from an Amish background, all of our genealogy is done for us. All we have to do is pick up a book and we can trace our roots all the way back to the 18th century. I realize how totally cool that is - most folks have to work on researching their ancestry. We can trace our forefathers back seven generations, at least. How cool!

Anyway, while talking about it, I made mention that I'd really like to trace Peter's ancestry. He started giving me information, such as his father's birth year, then his grandmother's birth year, and we're pretty sure that his great grandparents were slaves. So now I need to go to his hometown and start researching. I have two names, his father and his paternal grandmother. I'm hoping that he'll talk to his Mom about her ancestors while we're there. I think it would be awesome to be able to present him with details of his ancestors.

Fifteen years together, and I'm still learning things about him and his family, such as his grandmother's name. His mother has siblings I've never heard of, and every once in a while, a name will crop up that I recognize. It just is so intriguing to me to NOT know, since our family is so blessed to have our history written down for posterity. So in addition to being the scrapper in our house, it looks like I may also be the family historian for the Davis clan. Of course, that is depending on how much I can actually find out, since his paternal history only goes back 4 generations as we know it.

So keep your fingers crossed that we can actually find something out. Looking forward to the challenge now....

No comments:

Post a Comment