Friday, December 31, 2010

Easy Peasy Chicken Pie

I adore a good chicken pot pie, but those frozen things you get at the grocer in the frozen foods are simply a waste of money, in my eyes. I decided to experiment and see if I could come up with a great pot pie recipe on my own, and after some trial and error, this is the recipe that I came up with. It does use some convenience products, but it's pretty healthy overall, with the exception of the sour cream. But what's life without butter & sour cream?? Pretty boring, I say!

This recipe calls for a 9x13" baking pan, but if you have a small family, it also fits wonderfully into two 8x8" baking pans so you can enjoy one now and freeze one for later.

Easy Peasy Chicken Pot Pie

2 cups shredded chicken
1 16oz bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/2 onion, diced
8 oz sliced mushrooms
2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
2 Tbsp butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cup sour cream
Chicken stock (I eyeball it)
Salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you desire
1 package Bisquick cheddar herb biscuit mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet and saute` the potatoes, onion & mushrooms until they're softened a bit, and the onions are translucent.

In a large bowl, mix the soup and sour cream. Add chicken, all the veggies and mix well. If the mixture is too thick, I add chicken stock so it's a little thinner. You don't want it super runny or super thick, just more like a really good gravy consistency. Season as desired. Pour mixture into a greased 9x13" pan and spread out evenly. In another bowl, prepare biscuit mix according to the directions. I add a bit more water to the mix to make it pourable. Pour biscuit batter onto the top of the casserole and spread out evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until top is slightly browned. I like to pull it out of the oven when it begins to brown and smear butter all over the top and put it back in to finish browning. That step is purely optional!! :)

Please leave me a comment and let me know what your seasoning and herbs of choice would be...

No comments:

Post a Comment