Friday, April 15, 2011

Veggie Caviar


At the last crop Mom went to, I popped in and our friend Judy had made a black eyed pea salad with corn, onions & bell peppers. I tasted it, and it was scrumptious. I didn't ask for the recipe, but have been craving it for a couple of weeks now, so I came up with my own take on it. I've chosen to call it "caviar", simply because it sounds as good as it tastes! Here's my version...


Veggie Caviar


1 can black eyed peas, drained & rinsed

1 can whole kernel corn, drained & rinsed

1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained

1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped

1 rib celery, finely chopped

1/2 fresh tomato, finely chopped

4 scallions, thinly sliced, including green part


Mix all together in a large bowl and pour viniagrette over it and allow it to marinate.


Viniagrette


1/4 cup vinegar (I used roasted garlic rice wine vinegar)

1/2 cup good olive oil

kosher salt to taste

freshly ground black pepper to taste

red pepper flakes to taste

herbs (whatever you like - I used an all purpose herb blend)


Pour everything into a pint jar with a lid, screw the lid on tightly and shake, shake, SHAKE!! You can tell when the dressing is well emulsified. This makes more than enough dressing - I only used half on my veggies, and the rest I'll save for the next batch.


This is really wonderful with either corn chip scoops or tortilla chip scoops. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment