Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sick days and sweethearts

Man, this week has been a woolybooger. First, as Oma posted the other day, the babies have had the crud, and for some reason Savannah took up with me Friday night and Saturday, so I ended up spending quite a bit of time just hanging out with her, breathing the same air, etc.

Soooo, Sunday evening, I started feeling a bit under the weather. By Tuesday night, I was ill. Very ill. From what we can figure, it's a combo of the flu, an upper respiratory bug and a gastrointestinal something-or-other. In other words.... NOT nice. The bulk of this week has been spent in a semi-medicated stupor of sorts. I vaguely remember snippets of things here and there.

Then to top it all off, yesterday I got an earache. Not a run of the mill, dull ache type of thing, but a "someone's trying to shove a 12" chef's knife point first through my ear canal" type of pain. Peter heated up a wet washcloth in the microwave and I held in on my ear for a while, then I gave up and retreated back to the age-old remedy that Mom's been using since before I was even a glimmer in my Daddy's eyes.... sweet oil (or in this case, extra virgin olive oil), warmed up in a spoon, poured into my ear and followed with a cotton ball.

Well, I went to bed and slept, and this morning when I rolled over so the affected ear was lying on the pillow, the pain really kicked in. It woke me up and almost had me in tears, but then something popped and most of the pain went away. Later in the morning, when I finally got up, it appeared that my ear had been bleeding, so not sure what's going on there, but at least the pain is gone.Now I'm waiting for my sweetie to come home with some earplugs for me so I can take a shower and not get water in my ears. Can't wait to get the Vick's smell off me and put normal clothes on and feel like a person again!!

Now for the sweethearts part... My sweet honey came home from work a bit late last night and presented me with a lovely bouquet of flowers, a couple of bags of assorted chicken soups and a box of Dove Dark Chocolate Promises.... YUM-O!! That made my night, even feeling as poorly as I was. It's nice to be loved so much, even when I'm feeling at my worst, that he would be such a sweetie to me.

This week, I totally owe him a huge amount of thanks. He's made 1:30am trips to Walmart for medicine for me, although he had to be back at work at 6am. He's tried to get me to eat when that's the last thing I wanted. He's called me even when he's swamped in paperwork, and he's let me cry on the phone when I was too weak to do much more than sound like a poor dying kitten.

So THANK YOU, SWEETHEART!! I love you, Baby. Happy Valentine's Day!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have had a rough time. Hope you are better soon.